Thursday
questions:
How might you investigate scale with your students?
How might you investigate scale with your students?
For
the first day
I
would begin by showing the students examples of Frank Gehry for motivation.
I
would have them design a funky building in small scale by having them first
draw a blueprint of a building. The following day I would have the students
experiment with with paper folding and cutting.
Once the kids are comfortable with folding and experimenting, they can
begin constructing their buildings. After they are done with their creation,
they can work in groups taking photos outdoors with miniature figures in front
of the buildings. A scale project could also be used with Andy Goldsworthy
using natural materials.
What other planar materials could you use in your classes?
What other planar materials could you use in your classes?
Students
could bring in candy wrappers, wrapping paper playing cards, prints they
created, plaster-coated tape, or painted
paper.
I may show and explain children the scale with the maquette of our solar system to show how important understanfing od scale is and that it can be used in art and science. I would ask students to create a group desing of an enviroment of thier choice: a room, a playground,circus, ect; then create small pieces that can be put togheter.
ReplyDeleteFor planar materials kids can used scraps of any old paper such as magazines, tissue paper, grocery bags, toilet paper. I wuld also like to incopporate fabric in this project.
Styrofoam, cardboard, bubble wrap, and egg cartons could be added to the list.
ReplyDelete